All About Eyebrows
Everyone is born with bushes above their eyes, but it can be easy to make the bushes look like groomed shrubs. When it comes to your eyebrows, you have options, but don’t go overboard with waxing, plucking or trimming. The worst thing you could do for your eyebrows is to kill the hair follicles by over-plucking them. The easy way to get perfect eyebrows is to use a brow kit that provides you with stencils, eyebrow powder and a brow brush; however, not everyone can afford to purchase a kit. Here are some tips on how to achieve perfect eyebrows.
How to pluck eyebrows
A few things to keep in mind when maintaining your own eyebrows is to pluck one hair at a time, get as close to the root as possible, and pull in the direction of hair growth. If you have thin eyebrows, you can use eyebrow powder and stencils to fill them in; if you don’t have eyebrow powder, experiment with your eye shadow to find a color that matches as closely as possible.
- Use an eye shadow padded wand to make small strokes to fill in your brow. There are also eyebrow pencils that are perfect for filling in thin brows.
- Apply the color with small strokes beginning at the inner corner, then working towards the end. Use a brow brush to comb excess color off your brow, and then use a very small amount of brow gel or regular hair gel to finish off the look.
If it’s the first time you’re plucking your eyebrows, beware of the redness that will occur. Assuming you plan on leaving the house, be prepared to explain why your brows are red. Also, you can use a cold wash cloth to hold onto your brows to help close the follicle.
Find your eyebrow shape
A quick way to help you find out your eyebrow shape.
- Take a straight object like a pen, eyeliner pencil or popsicle stick, and hold it vertically along the side of your nose. The object you’ve held up should reach your eyebrow to indicate where your brow should start.
- Use the straight object again, only this time, line the object with the center of your eye (the pupil) because this is how you indicate where the arch of your brow should be.
- To find out where your eyebrow should naturally end, hold the straight object up so that it makes a line from the corner of your nose to the corner of your eye. The object should reach your eyebrow to indicate where it should naturally end.
- If your eyes are close-set, your brow will look better if it starts a little in from the corner of your eye. Your arch looks good if it is slightly outside of the center of your eye. Your brow looks best if it ends just a little past the outer corner of your eye.
- For girls with eyes that are well spaced (an eye’s width apart), start your eyebrow directly above the inside corner of your eye. Your arch looks best directly above the center of your eye’s pupil. The brow looks good if it ends above the outer corner of your eye.
- Some girls have eyes that are more than an eye’s width apart, which is completely normal. Begin your eyebrow closer to the nose with your arch a little in front of the center of your eye. Your eyebrow looks best if it ends slightly above the outer corner of your eye.