You tend to forget about them concentrating on your eyelashes. That’s a pity, because it is eyebrows which help your eyes look deeper, reshape your face outline adding “character” to it.
The most important thing you have to remember when shaping your eyebrows is to make them look natural. Thin eyebrows sharpen the face, whereas bushy (similar to those of the Mexican painter, Frida Kahlo) are suitable only for women of the southern type. You have to match the shape of your eyebrows to your appearance, face oval and eyes span.
Perfect eyebrows can hide some defects. I recommend you have a professional do your brows first to set a “blueprint”, then all you have to do is pluck where the hairs grow in. Look what shape your eyebrows must have depending on your face oval.
- Square face – rounded eyebrow ridges should be thicker at the beginning and thinner at the outer edge;
- Long and oval face – eyebrows should be as natural and as long as possible;
- Rectangular face – eyebrow edges should rise a bit up to temples;
- Sloping eyelids – eyebrows shorten and rounded a bit;
- Small and closely set eyes – eyebrows a little moved back, without hair growing near nose base;
- Widely set eyes – eyebrows shortened, ending at the outer edge of the eye;
At the Beautician’s
You can do henna – you can choose among a couple of tones.
You get a natural effect which lasts for about three to four weeks. If your eyebrows are not very expressive, you can make them thicker.
The beautician will insert a special natural pigment under your skin. This pigment will look like your natural eyebrows. This method is very long lasting – it will stay for about 3 to 5 years. This treatment is totally safe.
How to Make a Perfect Ridge
Use a liner and make small lines as if you were drawing particular hairs, which will make eyebrows look like yours. Sweep the lines with a little brush. Instead of a liner you can use an eye shadow. The shadow or the liner should be a tone fairer than your natural eyebrow colour. If you are blonde, choose grey or brown. Avoid chocolate and black which will make your face look sad. Fair complexion but dark eye frame looks good in pastel brown. It’s worth to apply gel on the eyebrows to make them glossy. You have to use gel when your eyebrows are bushy and difficult to arrange.
Tips on Plucking Eyebrows
Shape your eyebrows using metal tweezers, with good light, in front of the mirror (do not use a magnifying mirror as you may pluck too many brows). The procedure is not long; you may do it once in two weeks.
- Pluck brows after the bath, skin is soft and it hurts less. If you are afraid of pain, “anesthetize” skin with an ice cube wrapped in foil. Use a liner to draw a shape you want to have. Remember to round the ridge at about two thirds of its length. To mark the beginning and the ending of an eyebrow you have to make a so-called “pencil test”.
- Make sure to pluck hairs in the direction they grow and don’t grab too many hairs at a time. To make it easier, hold skin taut as you pluck. Do not pluck hairs growing above the ridge. Once you’re done plucking, you can apply aloe vera gel, which will calm the redness right away. Comb eyebrows with a brush up to the outer edge.